Saturday, April 5, 2014

Home-Sweeet Homestead News For April 5th, 2014

It was a brisk October April day today. Chilly and gray! Not too good for outside work. I've been trying to clean goat areas little by little. Time consuming, but very necessary. Now that the snow is melted, I can see all the work to be done...and I have to think about how to eat an elephant! (One bite at a time!)

I've got some things coming up to keep me busy in the next few days. Today I received two elderberry bushes I ordered from Stark Bros. I've been wanting to go elderberry picking for a few years now and can't seem to beat the birds. At least with my own bushes I can put bird netting over them and hope to get some for my own use. Mostly medicinal, no, not wine.



I have 12 blueberry plants coming too. We used to go into the woods in Pennsylvania foraging for wild blueberries, but I don't know what I'd ever do if I met up with a bear and it's not something I want to find out. I was buying some from a man who grew them, but he was not local and getting to him was not always convenient. So, a one-time investment will take care of that and after a few harvests the bushes will pay for themselves.



I'm also considering grapes and will have to decide soon. I only have most of one usable acre, so I have to be strategic about where I place things.



Always learning something around here. New things happening and some of the old things changing. But that's how life is.

Mr. Home-Sweet and I went and picked up three bee packages last Friday in Kingston, NY.  He lost two hives this winter, which isn't bad, it's been worse. He's setting up to do some splits when the weather permits.


 We have three Boer/Nubian mixes that I believe will soon be sold for meat. It's hard to do that, believe me, but that's the way of it...and there's nothing to be done for it. Two of them I worked hard on last year with mastitis...oh my. But they healed up nicely. I just cannot handle them. They're strong and hard for me to control. I'm just not as strong as I used to be! I have to be serious about making things financially friendly too. It's not worth feeding all these goats with no benefit. People need to eat and they can provide it for them.

I will be moving plants to the front of the house too, to make a sitting/resting garden. The area they are in now will be used to grow food. It is my aim to grow most, if not all of our food this year. I do not know if I can accomplish it, honestly, it seems monumental, but I am going to try and hopefully I'll get better each year.

I've been studying dehydration and this seems like the best method for many things. I've been watching many videos, reading tons of different gardening ideas and off-grid and self-reliant information. So much out there.

I'll share this video, this couple knows how to utilize their 1/12th acre!

 

What plans do you have to improve or work your Home-Sweet this year? 

Praise the Lord for the gift of life and the ability to tend what He's blessed us with. We are truly grateful!

We must remember to always be grateful for all of God's gifts in our lives...we are so truly blessed. Living as good stewards in every area of our lives is also important. Ask Father God for wisdom and He will give it! 

Blessings!





No comments: